Monday, May 17, 2010

Heaven or Hell

Whatever happened to checking a book out from the library? Why do people have to buy their own books? 
Last summer I decided to get a library card, mainly because I was feeling cheap.  At the time I felt  like whenever I bought a book, I would read it once and then it would sit on a shelf collecting dust until I decided to donate it to Goodwill.  

After becoming a regular at the library, I found out that due to the economic hardships faced by the City of Long Beach, there had been major cuts to the library book budget.  In attempts to keep the library up to date with new publications, the city created a wish list on Amazon.com.  What a brilliant idea!  When you think about it, donating a $20 book is cheap. This is something anyone can do. Over the last few months whenever I've felt compelled to buy my "own" book, I've bought the City of Long Beach a book instead.  Giving back is a great feeling and when you're part of a community it's important to support your city in anyway you can. To support the Long Beach Public Library check out their WISH LIST. 

So with that said, this month I'm reading There's A (Slight) Chance I might be Going To Hell

I decided after reading PUSH and The Memory Keeper's Daughter it was time for something light hearted. So far so good.  I love the writing style of Laurie Notaro. Already I've had several laugh out loud moments and I'm only 50 pages into the book.  Hopefully this book will keep me entertained over the next few weeks. 

So what are you reading??? I'm always looking for something new........
 

1 comment:

  1. I just finished reading When Love Walked In and A Girl Named Zippy, both compliments of my local Long Beach library :) Love Walked In was okay, but Zippy was quirky and funny. I definitely recommend it!

    ReplyDelete