Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Lamp Shade That Started It All

When you've lived on your own for 11 years, moving back home with the parents is an adjustment.  Since my new job requires me to work from home, I thought this was a great opportunity to redecorate Stephanie's old bedroom and turn it into a cozy office (after all she doesn't live here anymore)!  The new room was inspired by a vintage lampshade I bought at a flea market a few years ago (picture above).

BEFORE:

AFTER:
 We repainted the room from buttercup yellow to a battleship blue.  I love how the color goes from blue to gray as the light changes in the room.  I unfortunately had to keep the daybed, (my mother politely reminded me this was still Stephanie's bedroom), but modernized the bed with some decorative pillows.

 
For extra storage, I'm using the dresser as a place to house my files. 
I spied these file holders on this favorite blog site.    
I also personalized the space with my favorite pictures 
(including this one of Stephanie).



 
I finally framed the prints bought at this flea market 
and mentioned on this blog entry.


 My desk bought at target features a chrome vintage chair bought from e-bay.  Life lesson #453: When bidding on a piece of furniture, it is only a bargain if your shipping is less than your purchase.  E-bay chair cost:$35.  Shipping cost $150.  Can you say ouch!  I also recycled an old picture frame, by spray painting it white and turning it into a chic bulletin board.

This decorating business is harder than I thought.  If you have any suggestions or tips, please let me know.

3 comments:

  1. Could you have posted a more better looking before picture! :- (

    I don't remember the room being that messy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i have that same trundle bed!! too funny! the room looks great! I'd like to hire you when I get a house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-organized room! I love the desk area, very comforting to do some work left at the office..

    ReplyDelete