Monday, April 26, 2010

Flea Market: Junk or Treasure

I never understood those Designing for the Sexes shows until I got married. I’ll never forget the day Nick moved in and suddenly all of my things that resembled shabby chic, were packed in boxes on their way to St. Vincent de Paul. No more pastels and frilly prints. I was forced to move on to geometric prints and gender neutral colors. Although it took Nick and I some time to get into our decorating groove, we eventually got there and now we both can confidently buy things for our apartment knowing the other person will love it just as much

Although it’s been 3 years since my apartment was “girly,” I still can’t resist the urge to go to the flea market. Needless to say, I forgot to think about the above statement last Sunday when I was at the flea market. Husband wasn’t happy when I came home with this treasure:
.

In my defense it does have a geometric feel. What sold me was the amazing circle pattern. Although the chair needs some work, I love the faded Robin Egg color and I even don’t mind the octagon cream fabric. Husband thinks I should paint it brown (aka gender neutral) and recover the chair cushion with a rich fabric. What do you think?




I also scored these amazing vintage hand painted watercolor prints from a Japanese artist. Again, clearly I forgot my own house rules as these are very feminine, however I think once they are matted they could look great in a dining room or office.




Lastly, with market starting this week, I had to get my “Accessorizing On.” When it comes to jewelry, I’ve always gravitated to unique vintage things. At the flea market you can find some wonderful statement pieces for an incredible price. To visit you local Flea Market check out: http://www.iantiquesguide.com/staticpages/index.php?page=20040209191046117


3 comments:

  1. okay I think that chair is awesome! What I would do to make Nick happy is a) paint it a clean crisp white, getting rid of the shabby chic feel of it and b)recover it in a bold geometric pattern like black/white, turquoise/white. Definitely don't think you should paint it brown. BORING! something sort of like this is what I'm thinking: http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/before-and-after-chairs/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I think I will paint it white. Do you know where I can get some fun fabric? I usually go to Woof & Warp Fabrics on PCH. Your blog has made me curious about Soho Purl. Do they have good upholstery fabric? It’s hard to tell by their website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the chair, and as Nick's mom, you and I both know that he loves your taste, even though he can't always see the finished product. I agree with bright white paint and a bold geometric fabric...just make sure it is a color that Stella isn't attracted to. (PS if you ever find something great like this at the flea market and don't know who to buy it for, send me a picture and we'll talk!)

    ReplyDelete